Thursday, September 9, 2010

SOMEONE MAKE A CASE FOR TIGER! PLEASE!

by Doug McAllister

After one of my recent posts I received a question: "What is with you and Tiger? Why don't you like him?"

A valid question. It got me thinking. I tell ya, it would make life a lot easier for me if I could appreciate Tiger. After all, it's likely that he'll be around for some time and I'll be watching him, week in and week out, as I tune in to watch PGA events. Like Tiger would make it possible for me to more fully enjoy the events that he wins — which is currently impossible for me to do.

So I ask you, why should I like Tiger? Someone please make a case that I can accept.

And, in the interim, here's my case against Tiger in four particular points.

1. ARROGANCE. Golf is a game of class. It's a game where opponents play to top all the other competitors but, at the same time, realize that their common opponent is the course, NOT the other golfer. This is something that's been difficult for Tiger and his parents to understand. For example, comments by Tiger's mom, Tida, include how she believes that Tiger "owns" his opponents' minds. How he has gotten into their heads and, by so doing, has defeated them. Hmmm. Again, the opponent is the course and not the other golfer. So let's keep our minds and mind games, whether intentional or not, to ourselves. Maybe if Tiger could embrace this point and reflect this more often in his persona I would begin my first turn to Tiger-philia.

2. SOUR GRAPES. At this year's U.S. Open Tiger was interviewed about the fairness of Pebble Beach, as prepared by the U.S.G.A. Tiger's response was that the course was, unequivocally, unfair. Interestingly, Phil Mickelson was interviewed shortly after Tiger and the same question elicited a far better response from Phil. He noted that Pebble Beach was playing very hard but quickly noted that it was playing fair and that his difficulties were due to his own shortcomings as a player. Refreshingly bright! David Fay of the U.S.G.A. was asked about the two responses and appropriately applauded Mickelson's assessment of things and correctly labeled Tiger's pettiness as unacceptable. Sure there will be bad days and bad moods but sour grapes is something for which Tiger is famous. Nothing is ever his fault.

3. DELUSIONS. Tiger needs to stop with the "I've already completed the Grand Slam" stupidity. I've heard him say twice in press conferences — when asked whether the Slam is really a possibility — that "it's possible. In fact I've already done it." Tiger needs to realize that continually campaigning to have his comparatively puny "Tiger Slam" canonized as a true "Grand Slam" not only makes him look stupid, but appropriately magnifies Bobby Jones' preeminent 1930 accomplishment.

4. STEVE WILLIAMS. Admittedly, Williams is a separate individual. But, after all of the nonsense from Stevie (crude and stupid comments about Phil Mickelson, yelling at the gallery, breaking cameras, etc.), Tiger needs to give the krazy kiwi his walking papers. For Tiger to keep this psycho and to say very little in opposition to his gracelessness is a sorry reflection on Tiger's character.

I am sure that I could think of more, but these are sufficient for today's post. Notice that I didn't say anything about his personal indiscretions, as bad as those are. Frankly, on that score I tend toward Jack Nicklaus' assessment of things. While I adamantly disagree with Tiger's amoral lifestyle, we are talking golf here.

So, there it is! The gauntlet is thrown. I would sincerely love to bury the hatchet and be able to be, at least, a moderate Tiger fan. After all, he is one of the greatest golfers of all time. If someone out there happens to have a good argument that can help me, I'd sincerely welcome the exchange.

If not, HELAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment